Agricultural Crop Farm Manager
About Duncan Farms
Duncan Farms is a permaculture farm near Huntsville, Alabama. We are looking for passionate individuals who care about permaculture, giving back to the land, and creating beautiful food for our community. We run a CSA and the happiness of our customers is always #1 in our minds. We want to drive consistency in our plant/animal production to always fill out our CSA.
We are looking for someone who’s grown crops at scale, using natural methods, rotational grazing techniques, and has a critically inclined mind to create the most abundance and variety with the lowest amount of inputs. We are avid planners and want to have someone support the CSA with more fruits and vegetables.
Reporting to the Owner, this full-time position involves coordinating and executing the various tasks necessary to produce and deliver high quality crops to market, including but not limited to: planting, pruning, thinning, mowing, irrigation, harvesting, packing, and processing of the various crops. Additionally, candidate must be able to plan the production of the farm to match the CSA and be able to coordinate with the rest of the team in order to deliver quality products throughout the year.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Directs and coordinates worker activities, such as planting, irrigation, natural fertilizer and pest-control applications, harvesting, planning.
- Coordinates growing activities with those of engineering, equipment maintenance, packing houses, and other related departments.
- Analyzes market conditions to determine acreage allocations.
- Records information, such as production, farm management practices, and parent stock, and prepares operational reports.
- Determines procedural changes in drying, grading, storage, and shipment for greater efficiency and accuracy.
- Analyzes soil to determine type and quantity of fertilizer required for maximum production. Inspects equipment to ensure proper functioning.
- Inspects orchards and fields to determine maturity dates of crops or to estimate potential crop damage from weather.
- Plans and directs development and production of hybrid plant varieties with high yield or disease and insect resistant characteristics.
- Purchases machinery, equipment, and supplies, such as tractors, seed, etc.
Education & Experience Requirements
- Graduation from a standard vocational or high school supplemented by some college coursework in agriculture; and extensive responsible experience in general farm work involving farm planning, methods, and production; and experience in supervisory farm work; or any equivalent combination of training and experience
- Thorough knowledge of farm equipment and materials and ability to manage the use of materials and equipment efficiently and economically
- Ability to keep records of time, production, and costs, and to make reports and recommendations for improvement in methods and equipment
- Ability to plan and direct large-scale diversified farm activities, to supervise groups of farm workers in farm activities, and to direct skilled and unskilled employees in varied farm operations
- Computer Skills: Word Processing, Spreadsheets
- Familiarity with Good Agricultural Practices, HACCP, and Food Safety Regulations
Work week will generally be five days per week with hours varying hours varying as needed to insure the proper management, harvesting and packing of the crops grown. This may include additional hours as required by seasonal demands and cultural practices.
Compensation range depends on education and experience. We are a growing company with opportunities for career development.
How to Apply
Submit resume to email@example.com