Mini Chicken and Kale Meatballs
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 small onion - diced
2 garlic cloves - minced
1 Bundle of Duncan Farms Kale with stem removed - chopped small
1 lb of Duncan Farms ground chicken
1 Duncan Farms egg
1/2 cup parmesan cheese (freshly grated), plus 2 tablespoons for serving
1/2 cup unseasoned bread crumbs
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 tablespoon of Italian seasoning
1 1/2 cups organic, low salt chicken broth
2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a sauté pan. Add the onion and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for an additional minute. Add the chopped kale and continue cooking for a few minutes until kale is wilted.
- Remove pan from heat and let cool. In a separate bowl, add the ground chicken, egg, 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, bread crumbs, salt, pepper and Italian seasoning.
- Add the cooled kale mixture to the chicken mixture and combine gently; mix well but do not over mix. Form the mixture into small round meatballs.
- For equal-size meatballs, scoop out meat mixture with a 1 inch scoop, then roll between your palms to shape into balls
- . Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large sauté pan on medium high heat.
- Add the meatballs to the pan and cook for 2 minutes until browned on bottom and turn over for another 2 minutes.
- Add the chicken broth to the pan, bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer for an additional 5 minutes.
- Place the meatballs in a serving dish and top with the additional Parmesan cheese and chopped basil.